Sunday, February 5, 2017

Five Ways to Cut Monthly Costs

If you are like me, when you read the average article about saving money, it is a hit and a miss. For example, I do not smoke, drink alcohol or coffee and most of the holes they suggest I fill just don't exist. I wish that meant I was perfect, but I do have areas where I am looking to plug up my own holes. Maybe you have some of those holes, too!

1. Clean out that storage shed and get rid of it, or, at least, downsize! When I first moved to across the country, I rented a 20 x 20 shed with the idea it would last for six months. I wanted to find out where I wanted to live before I moved all that stuff.  Years later, I have downsized to a 10 x 10. Today, I started working on getting a smaller shed with the goal of no shed in about a year.



The great thing about emptying out a shed is, you can sell that stuff. You haven't used it -or seen it- in how long? Have a garage sale. Sell it on Craigslist or eBay or check out the community page on Facebook. Bank the extra money.

2.  Sell any extra vehicles you may own. Even if all your cars or trucks are paid for, you still have the costs of upkeep and insurance. You will have more money you can save and someone else will have the vehicle they need. It is a win-win situation.

3.  Get ready to plant a garden. In a few weeks, early starting plants can be started in your home. In a few months, you will save money on groceries and, maybe even on doctor bills. Veggies are so good for you and will help keep your personal machinery in good running shape.

Use egg cartons are Keurig cups to start the seeds. Add soil to the empty container and plant the seeds. Recycling at its finest.

4.  Learn how to mend the clothes you have. Knowing how to alter clothes is another good way to keep from spending more money on new clothes. Just the other day, I found a hole in the inner leg of my favorite pajamas. A little saying went through my head and I headed for my sewing box and stitched it up. The saying, "A stitch in time saves nine." It also keeps me from letting them get ruined.

5.  Pack healthy snacks, especially if you have to go shopping after work.  If I am hungry, I am 75% more likely to buy junk food and ruin my budget and my healthy diet. Taking carrot sticks or seaweed and eating it on my way to the store helps me avoid the "aisle" attractions.

Look for little ways you can save money. Finding an extra dollar a week can save $52 in a year. Couponing, bargain shopping, cutting out unnecessary activities all help you live daily on less!

No comments:

Post a Comment