Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Gluten-free pizza on the cheap!

I have a small freezer that does not have a lot of space in the summer because ice is a necessity! Tonight, for dinner, I decided to do what I could to empty out the freezer-yes, that means I had no plans for supper. After eating, I am so glad that I didn't, because supper was wonderful-and so very inexpensive!

First, I took out a package of frozen gluten-free pizza crusts that I bought at the 99¢ store, bringing the cost of each crust to 50¢ each. Then, I dumped the left over brocolli in my steamer tray, I added a little frozen corn and frozen peas.


While the vegetables were steaming, I put my first pizza crust in a convection oven for 5 minutes. Once it was done, I put it on a plate and put the second crust in the oven.

I added an alfredo sauce-the only gluten-free one I can find. I only used a portion of the jar, so there is some left for other veggie dishes tomorrow. I placed half of the steamed veggies on the pizza and then added half a jar of artichoke hearts-another purchase from the 99¢ store. I finished off the top with left over mild cheddar cheese from a cheese package that I had used for several other dishes.










The second crust was finished cooking. I removed it and replaced the crust with toppings back in the oven for another 3 minutes and repeated the above steps with the second crust.


Here's the bottom line, I made two vegetable pizzas from left-overs and 99¢ store products. The actual cost was less than $4.00 for both of them. The real bottom line, however, came when my husband said, "Make sure you write this recipe down."

Our mothers and grandmothers use to make wonderful meals out of leftovers. It seems like that became out of style with fast food and convenience food. My meal was a combination of convenience food and other foods that I had on hand because I had used part of a package and we both loved it. The more you cook at home, the easier it is to live daily on less.

No comments:

Post a Comment